Building upon the extensive work on literary geography, and on cartographic cinema, a range of scholars in the humanities have endorsed mapping as a conceptual framework to improve our understating of narratives. Meanwhile, geographers and cartographers have recognized the importance of mapping personal stories and vernacular knowledge in order to better understand their contribution to the production of places. Examples of this fusion between maps and narratives range from GPS drawing, to walking as a way of addressing the performative nature of mapping, and from the political mapping of journeys and stories of illegal migrants crossing borders, to the mapping of very personal feelings and emotions.
In order to further explore these relationships between maps and narratives, the commission on Art and Cartography of the International Cartographic Association (ICA) has organized a workshop on this thematic in Zurich in June 2012 . We are now seeking academic and artistic contributions to be published in two special issues of two academic journals.
One will be published in The Cartographic Journal and co-edited by Sébastien Caquard and William Cartwright. It will compile a range of academic papers providing more of a cartographic perspective on the relationships between maps and narratives. The second one will focus on the artistic points of view of the relationships between cartography and narratives. This second special issue will be co-edited by Laurene Vaughan and Matthew Bissen and it will be published in a multi-media focused journal (more details about this publication available soon). Both of these issues will be cross-referenced to give more visibility to the publications as well as to support the interdisciplinary dimension of this project.
Here are the main deadlines concerning the special issue to be published in The Cartographic Journal:
– Dec. 19th, 2012 – Call for papers
– April 30th, 2013 – Deadline to submit full papers (4,000 – 5,000 words) to Sébastien Caquard (email@example.com) and William Cartwright (firstname.lastname@example.org)
– May 31st, 2013 – Comments sent by the editors to the authors
– June 30th, 2013 – Final version of the papers submitted by the authors to The Cartographic Journal website for the review process (For the detailed instructions to authors, please look at the web site of The Cartographic Journal)
– Aug 31st, 2013 – End of the review process
– Dec. 31st, 2013 – Final versions of the selected papers sent by the authors to The Cartographic Journal
– May 2014 – Publication of the special issue in The Cartographic Journal
2 thoughts on “Call for papers – Special issues on “Cartography and Narratives””