The Commission for Art & Cartography of the International Cartographic Association (ICA) seeks submissions for a special issue of the International Journal of Cartography to be published in the Spring of 2024.(1) We seek a diversity of contributions that explore how dialogues and practices in art and cartography can create generative points of contact. Submissions may take a variety of forms, ranging from full length research articles to shorter creative interventions that rely heavily on visuals and other forms of media.(2) Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Art practices that use concepts, grammars, or ideas found in cartography
- Cartographic practices that are informed by dialogues or practices in contemporary art
- Geographical visualization methods informed by humanistic modes of inquiry
- Theoretical interventions that open new possibilities for art and cartography
- Creative approaches to cartographic visualization
- Mapping projects that draw from participatory art
- Historical work that explores connections between art and cartography
- Research that investigates how community groups engage with art and cartography
If you are interested in contributing to this special issue, please send an abstract of 200 words or fewer to taien[AT]yorku[DOT]ca by August 15th, 2022. Potential authors will be contacted by September 1st, 2022, and essay drafts for peer review will be due by January 30, 2023. If you have questions or want to discuss ideas ahead of the deadline, please email!
For more information on submitting to the journal, please see: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=tica20
(1)Articles that make it through peer review earlier may be published online ahead of the print version of the issue.
(2)Audio-visuals and other forms of media will be made available through an accompanying special issue website